Sunday, October 16, 2011

First Contact

I have a beef to share. It's about most representations of aboriginal/native peoples meeting white man for the first time. It seems to me that almost every time I see a movie or a cartoon depicting the "discovery" of a new land, whether it be about Christopher Columbus or John Smith (I shudder every time I think of that "first contact" scene in the movie The New World), the natives are always shown jumping up and down like a bunch of retarded monkeys pointing to explorers and their ships as if they're some sort of mystical bananas.
I always imagined these initial contacts as being much more dignified and diplomatic. I imagine natives meeting the European man in a quiet, contemplating way, evaluating who are these strange white people reeking the smell of months worth of boat-ridden funk...
Believe it or not, I've had a few heated debates on these representations with colleagues. Imagine how pleased I was to find this video on Jean-Pierre Dutilleux's initial meeting with a tribe isolated from all forms of civilization. As you can see, the reaction is first of fear, then curiosity, and finally, diplomatic. All without jumping and howling like idiots. If anything will bring us close to getting a feel of those first meetings, this is it. (By the way, this is part one of five).

No comments:

Post a Comment